Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Flick Pick: V-Day Edition (the dark side)

While Valentine's Day has turned into a bit of a commercial sap-fest (but only if you let it!), the origin of this very heart-y day is actually fairly macabre

In honour of the less than pleasant, slightly dark side of Valentine's Day, I've compiled a list of some of my favourite movies with a romantic twist.  The yin to loves yang is pain or loss, so these movies all deal with a little bit of that.  No rom-com's here!

The Talented Mr. Ripley
(photo: wikipedia )

I think it is fair to say that I LOVE this movie.  Let me count the ways.  One.  Matt Damon in all his youthful glory.  Two. Jude Law in all his yothful glory. Three.  Everything's always better with a little Phil Sey Hoff.  Four.  I'm a Gwyneth apologist.  Five.  Cate Blanchett.  Six.  The viewer gets stressed out with Tom as he tries to keep up with his lies and false identities.  Seven.  It does not end happily ever after.  Eight.  Keeping with the theme, Matt Damon singing My Funny Valentine.  Whatta film!

Romeo and Juliet (Baz Luhrmann's version)
Romeo + Juliet Poster
(photo: IMDb )

Oh, this movie.  I actually only like to watch the first half of this film, because I really just love the happy lovey-dovey part.  But it falls within the context of this list.  This movie is sad.  But overall it is awesome, and it reminds me of being young, and dreamy.  And it had the best soundtrack.  I still get shivers when I hear Radiohead's "Exit Music (for a film).  And any cover of a Prince song is like a big slab of chocolate cake to me.  Also, any cover that Prince does, also like chocolate cake.  (Prince's cover of Joni Mitchell's "Case of You" is what they will play as I head through those pearly gates of Heaven).  But, Baz Luhrmann is my main man, I TOTALLY forgive him for Australia, which is why pick number 3 is...

Moulin Rouge! 

Moulin Rouge!
                                                                                               (photo: IMDb)
Alas!  Even true love cannot survive communicable diseases!  Plus Ewen McG singing "Your Song" is lovely.  And I love Kylie Minogue as the Green Fairy.  Baz is a proud Aussie who likes to support his fellow countrypersons. 

Heavenly Creatures


Heavenly Creatures Poster
                                                                                             (photo: IMDb )
Heavenly Creatures is a haunting film, made even more shivery by the fact that it's based on a true story.  I love that it stars a young Kate Winslet, that it is a Peter Jackson creation, and that it was filmed in New Zealand, and it deals with that intense infatuation that young girls are prone to (although usually not with such drastic outcomes).  This flick is dark and twisty, just like Sir Jackson's mind.


Anyone else keen on these flicks?  I've got a few picks for the lighter side of V-Day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment