Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me Chandeleur-Style!

Today is February 2, a day forever associated with Bill Murray, burrowing rodents with ridiculous names, and my birthday.  And today is my 30th birthday.  And it has taken me 30 years to realize that there is a better way to celebrate my birthday than by determining whether or not we're in for another 6 weeks of Winter*. 

There are crepes!


                                                                                                 (photo credit: Association Fabrication)


In France, Chandeleur (which I gather is essentially Candlemas day?) is celebrated by cooking and eating crepes.  Although, they have to be cooked after 8 PM and the story goes (according to the lore of wiki) that if the cook can flip a crepe in the pan while holding a coin in the other hand, the family will have a prosperous year.

Our crepes will be of the sweet variety, and we won't be waiting until 8 PM to eat them (wouldn't that be cruel to the 3 year old?  Wait until she goes to bed to have dessert??  Not happening.) but I think we'll try our luck at the crepe flipping, and we'll see who can come up with the most delicious flavour combination.

Joyeux Chandeleur!

* when you think about it, we don't even need the Groundhog to make his predictions.  If he sees his shadow, there's 6 more weeks of Winter.  Well, if he sees his shadow, its likely because the sun is shining because it is too cold for cloud cover.  Therefore he ASSUMES that we're in for 6 more weeks of Winter (or people ASSUME for him, yeah I know its a hoax, I'm just venting 30 year's of groundhog aggression).

Thanks to everyone's favourite DesignMom for turning me onto this new (to me) celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment